Wednesday, January 1, 2014

10 Best Blog Posts of 2013

Looking back on 2013, there were a number of blogs that I enjoyed and helped me professionally.  I wanted to share with you some of my favorites during this past year:

I enjoyed this post because of the value of having a professional learning network.  I have learned a great deal from all of the educators in my network.  The learning has made me a better educator and has allowed NLHS to benefit as well.

Great list of resources for administrators, staff, students, and parents.  There is something for everybody in this list of technology resources.

It is critical for teachers to instruct in a way that develops and encourages critical thinking skills.  This post gives teachers ideas on how to make this happen in class.

As schools develop more students who can solve problems and use critical thinking skills in and out of the classroom, taking risks in the classroom is vital for teachers.  Teachers have to be given the freedom to try different methods and instructional strategies.  Sometimes things don't work and/or not successful.  It is important that teachers and students learn from their mistakes to allow both parties to grow.

I think the flipped classroom creates a well-rounded student who can manage their time and use different methods of instruction to his/her advantage.  I enjoyed this post because it lets teachers know what types of tools they need before they go into transforming their instruction to a flipped environment.

Eric does a great job of explaining why change doesn't always come easy.  This post illustrates different ways to tackle change in different environments.

I am a firm believer in Early College High School.  It allows our students the opportunity to stretch and challenge themselves starting out in elementary school.  

I found this post by Peter interesting and so true.  I believe this type of instruction is the basis of student-lead learning.

Great post that feeds hand-in-hand with STEM concepts and creating learners who can problem solve and think for themselves.  Excellent resources for teachers to use.

Much like the post above, this post lists apps that can benefit teachers and students for STEM projects and/or courses.  I know some of these apps are used by the students in our engineering courses and in our FabLab.

What were some of your favorite blog posts, lists, and/or articles from this past year?


No comments:

Post a Comment